How to choose a funeral provider
Not sure how to find the right funeral provider to arrange a funeral for your loved one? At first, it may appear that all funeral providers are much the same, or that there are too many to choose from. We’ve listed a few considerations that will help you choose the right funeral provider for your needs.
What to look for in a funeral provider?
At Simplicity, we understand how difficult it is to choose a funeral provider. Because a funeral is an emotional and sensitive occasion, it should be carried out by a funeral provider you feel comfortable with. In choosing a funeral home or cremation provider, you're trusting them to deliver the funeral that your loved one would have wanted.
We've noted some important considerations or questions you may want to ask a potential funeral provider, which they should not be afraid to answer transparently.
Considerations when choosing a funeral provider
1. Do they offer the type of funeral you are looking for?
There are lots of types of funerals, as well as funeral providers and funeral packages to choose from.
From direct cremations to a more traditional funeral or green burial, it can be a lot to take in. For this reason, prior to choosing a funeral provider, it may be helpful to decide what type of funeral you’d like for your loved one, as different funeral providers specialise in different types of funerals. At Simplicity, we specialise in direct cremation and low cost funeral options.
2. Does the funeral provider have the right mortuary facilities and transport?
There are many providers that will offer burial or cremation services, but they do not all operate to the same standards or include the same services.
To ensure that your loved one is treated with the utmost care and respect, we’d advise you to choose a funeral provider with an established history and the right facilities.
Many providers will only collect the deceased from a hospital or coroner with a significant charge to collect from anywhere else. This usually denotes a lack of facilities, nationwide or otherwise.
At Simplicity Cremations, we bring your loved one into care at one of our high-quality mortuary facilities, where they will be prepared, dressed and cared for until the day of cremation. We also ensure that our staff are professional and highly trained. We only use specialised vehicles for transportation.
3. What's included in the funeral costs?
Prior to choosing a funeral provider you should compare funeral prices, paying close attention to what is and isn’t included in each provider’s funeral package. The initial price may seem reasonable but there may be a host of added costs that need to be included to get the funeral you want for your loved one.
It’s important you understand exactly what you're paying for and why. Considerations specific to funeral costs include:
- Is the cremation fee included? This can be an extra cost of up to £500 if not.
- Are there extra costs for mileage? There could be costs per mile added to your bill if the body is resting outside of a certain radius. We won't charge you extra fees for mileage, because we have facilities nationwide.
- Are their extra charges for bariatric clients? Bariatric clients often require larger coffins and specific facilities in order to accommodate their needs. You could be charged around £250 for this. Simplicity Cremations do not charge anything extra where a larger coffin is required.
- Are doctor’s fees included? These cost around £164 and many providers do not include these. At Simplicity, we include doctor’s fees as part of our funeral package.
4. Is the service available in your area?
Some providers do not operate outside of a certain radius (this is usually a radius of a few miles around the provider) so it’s important to check that your location is covered.
Unlike many funeral providers, our cremation services are available throughout mainland Great Britain.
5. Does the funeral provider have any recent reviews?
Choosing an experienced and professional funeral provider will ease the burden and stress of arranging a funeral for your loved one. Some funeral providers will have online reviews from previous clients, although this may not be the case for some.
At Simplicity, our customer experience is very important to us and we strive to deliver a high-quality service every time. You can read our recent reviews here.
Why choose Simplicity as your cremation provider?
At Simplicity, we specialise in providing affordable, simple cremation services without the ceremonial excess often associated with a traditional funeral. All of our funerals include cremation fees and doctor’s fees, provision of a simple wooden coffin, transportation in a specialised funeral vehicle and care and preparation for cremation in our quality mortuary facilities.
Our funerals are arranged with just a few phone calls with our team of expert funeral arrangers. Unlike most funerals in the UK, our funerals are arranged without face-to-face interaction with a Funeral Director, saving your valuable time and money at what will already be a difficult time for you and your family.
Along with our friendly team of telephone-based funeral arrangers, we also guarantee:
- A choice of funeral packages to suit your loved one’s funeral wishes
- Transparent pricing with no hidden fees
- Immediate arrangements by our arrangement team 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- A promise to treat your loved one with the respect and care that they deserve
Learn more about arranging a funeral with Simplicity.
Choosing the best funeral plan provider
Looking to plan ahead for your own funeral? There are lots of funeral plan options on the market, varying considerably in cost and levels of cover. The things you need to look for in a funeral plan provider will differ a little compared to choosing a funeral provider to arrange a funeral now. Find out how to choose the right funeral plan provider for you.
If you’d like to know more about how we can help, browse our range of low cost funerals or prepaid funeral plans today, or contact us for more information. We’ll be here for you, whenever you need us.